Monday 28 April 2014

painting on the initial sketch


I felt confident that I had a slightly better idea of the general value placement from the last photo sampled painting that I did so I wanted to have another go at painting one of my sketches to test it and also develop the idea.



The first thing I did was just to block in the very general mid tones with the intention of adding shadows, and small amounts of extreme lights and darks (high lights and the darkest shadows used sparingly so as not to create a muddy or flat painting)


I started to add shadows by actually taking into account cast shadows and the direction of the lighting and I think this is an improvement from my last attempt already, it already looks more real. I also used to ignore what was happening outside of the composition, it occurred to me that there would be trees or something behind the camera and the shadows they cast would actually be visible, those shadows also serve to balance the composition.


After finishing the shading and adding highlights I was happy enough to actually try adding some colour to the drawing, I have still left the lineart for now becusae I never intended for this to be a complete painting but I may actually go ahead and blow this up to a larger canvas and polish this as a part of my finished work, I'm pretty pleased and I think I have enough of a foundation to start working on a finished painting, and it would be nice to have an actual painting to show as a culmination of all of this work, I'd like to add a bit more colour though as it's just monotone now.

No comments:

Post a Comment