Monday 7 April 2014

Painting with a reference

In the last painting I did I wasn't too true to my original concept which was to have still archaic buildings to be peaking from the ground, and the actual landscape itself was pretty boring (just green hills for miles) This time I actually took some context for the setting which was a sort of 'highlands' setting, I took a reference and then used that for a guide for the colours but this time not placing ot colour picking at all.


Again I'm not particularly happy with this, while it's better than the one before I don't like how the colours look at all, they are not convincing and the whole thing is lacking in texture so that is something I want to work on, I did make some progress in learning how to paint clouds though, I think it is the first time I ever convincingly painted them so I'm happy with that.

Unfortunately I did lose my reference but I did use one for this. As I mentioned before my understanding of value placement in a landscape is poor so that is going to be my next step in terms of technical practice, and in developing my concept and technique I will also try to create some photobash concepts. I have found some images that look like they could fit some building ruins in there nicely.

http://www.scotlinetours.co.uk/uploads/tour_picture/image/52331a561d924ed7e0000520/large_11-Scotline_Tours-Isle_of_Skye-Scotland-West_Highlands_Tour.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/14/2001-ScotlandHighlands-TheQuirang2.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment