Tuesday 7 May 2013

Trying to figure out how to get the plants working for UDK

I had originally designed the plants to work with a transparent PNG file, and it looked great I think, just how I was expecting it. But when it came to exporting the objects to UDK I found that using PNGs doesn't work as the transparent background shows up as white.

As a fix I decided to try the alpha channel TGA method, I figured it out. The first problem I had was acheiving the varying opacity within the plant texture but I overcame that quite easily by just copying the plant  layer and painting over it in white using 'lock transparent pixels' on photoshop. 


But even after that the texture wasn't looking quite right when I applied it in maya, the transparency wasn't perfect so I was getting almost translucent white where I should be getting a translucent green.



Unfortunately, as the plants haven't turned up to satisfaction in the end, I might just leave them out entirely, I really liked how they looked as PNGs so it will be hard to have to not include them at all but I feel like they will bring down the overall quality I have achieved rather than compliment the environment as they were supposed to. If I can't find some way of fixing them I will get rid of them entirely.


No comments:

Post a Comment